Mold on the walls of your home or business is more than unsightly. It can also pose a serious health risk to occupants. Because mold loves warm, moist environments, it’s essential to provide any residential or commercial space with proper ventilation and maintain low humidity levels. Once mold has developed, it must be removed.
Removing Mold from Walls
Surface molds grow in almost any damp environment, which makes bathroom, basement and even laundry room walls more susceptible to mold development. Small patches of mold on a painted wall often can be removed by scrubbing with a cleaning agent such as bleach, distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or a commercial product designed specifically for mold removal.
- Always work in a well-ventilated area
- Keep kids and pets away from the cleaning products and affected area
- Always wear protective gear: long sleeves/pants, non-porous gloves, glasses and a mask
- Test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure the cleaning product won’t discolor or harm the walls
Note: If the cleaning agent does affect the paint, you may need to repaint the wall after cleaning.
- Never mix bleach with ammonia or other cleaning agents
- Spray the cleaning agent directly on the mold and allow it to sit for a few minutes
- Scrub the mold away with a stiff-bristle brush
- Rinse the area with warm water
- Dry thoroughly with a clean cloth
- Repeat the process if needed
If you decide to repaint walls after removing mold, opt for a mildew-resistant paint to inhibit the growth of future mold.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends keeping humidity levels below 50 percent to prevent the growth of mold indoors. Running an air conditioner or dehumidifier can reduce indoor humidity in both homes and businesses.
Exhaust fans should be installed and used in all bathrooms and kitchens, venting heat and humidity outside. Likewise, your clothes dryer should be vented to the outside.
Stop moisture from entering a home or other building by sealing cracks in the foundation, in the attic and around windows, doors and walls.
Make sure all gutters are clear and that the downspouts divert water away from the foundation – you don’t want water to pool next to the building.
Use mildew-resistant building materials and mildew-resistant paint when remodeling. You can also add mold inhibitors to regular paint.
When to Call in the Professionals
Mold is a serious issue. A small patch of mold on a wall often can be removed without professional help, but if mold issues persist after you’ve cleaned and performed prevention tactics, it’s time to call in the experts. For larger mold issues, leave it to the professionals at ServiceMaster Restore® for safe and effective clean up and removal.
ServiceMaster Restore® professionals have completed comprehensive mold remediation training and employ the safest, most effective techniques for solving any mold issue. Our teams regularly handle small (ten square feet or less) areas affected by mold as well as larger spaces, both commercial and residential.
Remember that YOU AND YOU ALONE, decide who works in your home or business. YOU decide who handles your most precious of possessions! Tell your insurance provider that you want SERVICEMASTER ADVANCED or call us directly. Make sure that there is no confusion. There are other mitigation companies, and even others with similar sounding names. We are ServiceMaster Advanced, The Master of Disaster, ENTERPRISE NUMBER 7027. "WE WOULD BE HONORED TO SERVE YOU." (251) 653-9333 or (251) 928-1028.